Monday 3 May 2010

Manos' adventure at Kastellia Marathon


Many of the team members are active in participating in various amateur races. They do it for the fun of it! Below is Manos' (Gkiokas) recent "adventure" in a mountain bike race. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kastellia Marathon  18/04/2010

On April 18th I took part in the last open mountain biking race for the season 2009-2010.
60 km of mad, sweat and pain confirmed the host’s comments before the race:

“This year’s cup ends with the ‘Fox’s Death’, meaning the race most of you know as the "Kastellia Marathon". On April 18th you will get the chance to cover 60 km in the mountains of Kastellia Fokidas, designed to challenge the fittest quadriceps muscles as well as your biking “attitude. This race really highlights “M” in the “MTB”!

So here I am. All set in the starting point along with 118 other brave men and 3 brave women. It’s time for self concentration with 120 heart beats in a state of physical tranquillity but emotional spin!!
The supervisor gives recommendations for a calm set off to avoid any accidents because of congestion and the final countdown has already begun. ..3, 2, 1 GO!

Quick cycling for an early boost and I’m already in the right pace almost touching the front cyclists’ wheels ..

Poorly maintained downhill ahead during the first 5 minutes with me speeding up when I realize that the street ahead is eaten away by rain in a 40m depth which unfortunately I cannot avoid..!!!!! So the first fall is an undisputed fact taking down the cyclist behind me in an even harsher fall as well !

Both of us are standing lying on the ground while the others are swerving in order to avoid us .. And this was just the beginning!!
Looking each other straight in the eyes, not feeling the slightest pain as a result of the adrenaline and the tension, we ride our bikes again .. starting the first  wild chase … risking everything..

Because of the mad the friction is poor and the driving really dangerous, which makes things even harder..
Endless uphill roads with narrow and steep paths full of vegetation, passing through streams and passages eaten away by rain in the forest.

Mud, mud, mud…my glasses are blurry because of the sweat and mud so I’m having difficulty seeing….I decide to take them off… risking once more…

The first pain in the quadriceps muscles doesn’t take long to appear..reminding me to drink more water.. Water? That moment I realize I have lost my bottle of water…
So what happens now?

Stay cool! I have to make it until the finishing line.. Patience..The canteen with water supplies can’t be too far.. I’m entering a street..

A police car has made all the necessary traffic regulations so I am riding frantically with high spirit, receiving the audience’s applause.., Approaching Pavliani, a picturesque village in Parnassos. The grade of the street; 20%
I can do it.. I can do it… A group of children living in the village were cheering running along with me for a few meters… in the uphill… Some meters further away people from the organization committee offered me water and isotonic beverages..

However, seconds after down hilling a steep while breathtaking path I felt the first cramp..I am lying on the ground feeling excruciating pain trying to stretch.. Five minutes break and I keep riding.. Just 10 km to go and the suffering will be over…
Hang in there!!

I keep riding on a steady pace and I manage to enter the village where the finishing line is..

People has started gathering, locals are cheering while offering us homemade food..a real festival.. I am feeling satisfied while sad at the same time.
Satisfaction because despite all the setbacks I finished the race with dignity and sadness as a sweet suffering, which offered me countless beautiful images and emotions, ended..

No comments:

Post a Comment